Thursday, April 9, 2015
Novels in Verse
As I said in class, I read "What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know" which is a really fast paced verse novel through the perspective of a 14 year old boy. The article we read was really helpful to help me see the value in novels in verse because the one I read, along with Brown Girl Dreaming, didn't really show me that. I like the way the author showed the graph of a novel in verse surrounded by drama, poetry, and novels. When put that way, it starts to make more sense. The comparisons to drama throughout were also helpful to imagine the character as someone presenting a speech on stage or multiple characters having their chance in the spotlight to tell a story. I would have like to read a novel in verse with multiple perspectives because it does sound like a good use of that form. I have read a few young adult novels with multiple perspectives and I really enjoyed it. I think it was also helpful when the author of the article compared novels in verse to drama in that we need to set the stage in a way for ourselves and it's very based on character's voice. Although I still am not totally sold on novels in verse, I do see a lot more value in them after reading the article and I think if done well, it can be really successful and beautiful. Unfortunately, the one I read was not done well, the poems were simply broken up paragraphs, and it felt like lazy writing. I would like to give novels in verse another chance some day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
*slow clap*
ReplyDeleteBut really, I like that you're willing to give verse novels another chance. The book you read sounded...awful. I for one am looking forward to the day that I read a really, really good verse novel that makes me cry. Or laugh. Or both.
A novel in verse with different perspectives? I wonder how they would even do that...That would be interesting, anyway, especially if written well.