Tuesday, April 14, 2015
Graphic Novels
American Born Chinese was short and sweet with multiple narratives which were charming and drove the theme home. The illustrations were nice, almost cartoonish like a lot of stuff younger people watch on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon. Personally, I love graphic novels. They're a perfect combination of art and storytelling. Often the author is also the illustrator, which allows them to express their story in more than one way. The pictures can say just as much, sometimes more, than words on a page. Often the stories in graphic novels are very intense and the images compliment that. Perhaps its something about the way graphic novels are paced or maybe there's just a lot of really great graphic novelists, but I find that most graphic novels are very exciting and interesting. I can't say I've ever read one that I didn't enjoy. I feel that the graphic novel works well for young adult fiction because not only can it discuss serious issues that teens are interested in, as many graphic novels are gritty and serious, but it also has that fast paced, easy to consume reading which appeals to younger audiences. It especially appeals to those who don't like to read and prefer movies, because reading a graphic novel is a lot like watching a movie. I know I will personally continue to read graphic novels, but I've always like them so that's nothing new.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment