Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The House of the Scorpian

This was the second book that we've read that I really enjoyed reading and kept me interested the whole way through. The other one was, of course, The Book Thief. I think the reason I enjoyed those two the most is because they really got at a lot of deeper questions and I was able to empathize with the characters more. When I connect with a book on a deeper level, I tend to enjoy it more because I can get more out of it. The fact that it was science fiction really gave it more of an entertainment value for me as well. I had read this book in the past, but I only remembered it up to a certain point so the ending was just as much a surprise to me as it was for the rest of the class, though it wasn't exactly a surprising ending. I really enjoyed the subtle way that it touched on big issues because it gave the reader the ability to either leave it or dig deeper. I think personally it's hard not to dig deeper when given subjects like cloning and slavery, but I can see how other people would rather sit back and be taken on the ride that the book is offering them. All in all, I really appreciated this book not just for its plot, but for the amount of thought that went into it. It didn't feel like a simple story told simply for entertainment. It was not forgettable either despite having read other books about the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment