Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Graveyard Book

I'm going to try to take into consideration that this book is meant for ten year olds and above. I have a little brother who just turned nine and I think about how immature he still is and how he wouldn't know a lot of the words in this book and I'm not sure if he would like it or not. The book starts out with a murder, with the description of a wet knife. Perhaps a young child wouldn't immediately understand how creepy and dark that is, but maybe they would be smart enough to piece it together and realize the knife is wet with blood.
Any way, regardless of whether or not a ten year old would like or even understand this book thoroughly, I personally did not really find it all that great. I was just bored by it. Luckily, it was a quick read so I can't complain too much. I think the reason I didn't enjoy it as much as the others is the same reason that I didn't enjoy Looking for Alaska. I just simply didn't feel connected to the characters. In this book, it was more because the book was very plot and setting centered, and less centered on the characters. I didn't really get to know the people in the book, like Bod's ghost parents or even Scarlet, so I didn't really care what was happening. I liked Bod a little bit, but he was kind of boring as a character. I wasn't really interested in the magic and supernatural things happening, but I can see why a kid would be entertained by it. Yet, this book isn't really for kids, it's for young adults (sort of, the earlier side of the spectrum).
This book to me seemed like a lot of other books which rely on supernatural elements to carry the story, but don't really have impressive writing or much that really sticks with the reader once it's finished. Overall, it's a pretty forgettable book for me. Sorry if I'm being too harsh and some of you loved this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment